Saturday, December 18, 2010

Scholars Academy

Scholars Academy


College Essay Workshops in Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted: 17 Dec 2010 08:26 PM PST

Dear Scholars Community,

At the risk of a little shameless self promotion, I wanted to share the side project I have been working on: this summer, I will be hosting a college essay writing workshop in Buenos Aires, Argentina, from July 6 to August 3.

The experience is geared towards students who will be applying to college in the fall, and who want to dedicate a block of time to getting their essays done over the summer in an exciting, collaborative, supportive environment.

To answer the obvious question of what traveling to Argentina has to do with college essays, let me say this: there are a million fun things to do over the summer (and believe me, we will be doing many of them).  But without dedicated, structured time built into the schedule for writing, it's simply too easy to put off those pesky essays.  I've seen it happen year after year, and I wanted to offer a program that strikes an appropriate balance of work and play.

The basic schedule will be writing workshop in the mornings and activities in the afternoons, ranging from community service to photography excursions to sports to museum visits.  Whenever possible, our activities will involve cultural opportunities unique to Buenos Aires and Argentina; that is, we will see live tango and soccer, eat ojo de bife and choripan, and tour through the city’s enchanting attractions.

I am looking for 15 students to participate in the workshop, and will be recruiting at high schools all over the country.  We will have three instructors on staff, and live in single-sex university student housing.

I have created a new website to promote this new venture, and would be thrilled if you would view it and consider forwarding it to any high school juniors in your personal network. The url for the site is www.weisscollegeprep.com.

For more information, you can view the following (admittedly very corny) promotional video:

Thank you for indulging me, and if you have any questions, please email me directly at andyweiss1982@mac.com.  I wish everyone a joyful and restful winter break.

Happy Holidays!

Andy Weiss


No comments:

hit counter